Oakra rasam is my kid’s favourite rasam. This is very simple and easy to make. Just try it once…you love the taste. Here is my recipe…
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Onion, chopped – 1/2 small size
- Lady’s finger – 6
- Tomatoes, chopped – 1 medium size
- Water – 2 cups
- Tamarind pulp – 3 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Red chilli powder – Pinch
- Turmeric – pinch
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
For Temparing :
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli flakes – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Hing – pinch
For Garnish :
- Cilantro, chopped – 2 tbsp
- First wash the lady’s fingers, remove the edges and cut them into half or desired shape.
- Take a vessel, heat the oil.
- Once oil becomes hot, add green chilli, onions let onions turn into little brownish colour.
- Add chopped lady’s finger and reduce the flame to low and close the lid.
- When the okra pieces are three-fourths done, add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook for another 5 min’s.
- Now, add water and tamarind pulp. let it boil for 5 min’s.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder let it boil for few min’s.
- Turn off the stove.
- In another pan, for seasoning heat oil, add mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds starts spluttering add cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chili flake and hing.
- Add this seasoning to the rasam and remove into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with cilantro.