Usually I use to prepare this with Beerakaya / Ridge Gourd. After moving to CA it became very difficult me to find fresh Ridge Gourd. So, I thought of making this chutney using green mexican squash. It came very nice and tasty…..same like Ridge gourd.
- Green squash – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Sesame seeds – 2 Tbsp
- Green Chilli – 3 or 4
- Red chilli – 1
- Tamarind pulp – 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric – pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
For Seasoning :
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli flake – 1
- Garlic – 1
- Curry leaves – few
- Hing – pinch
- Take wash the squash and out the skin of the squash.
Take one medium size tomato wash it.
Next chop the squash and tomato into small pieces and keep aside.
Now Take a pan add 1/5 tbsp tbsp oil in it.
Add sesame seeds, red chilli, green chillies and roast until they turns little brown in colour.
Take into a plate, let it cool down for 5 min’s.
- Next in same pan, add 1/4 tbsp and roast the squash and tomato pieces separately, until they becomes soft or 1/2 cooked.
- Keep them aside, to let them cool down.
- Now in a grinder, add the roasted sesame seeds,red chilli, green chillies along with them add salt, turmeric powder, tamarind pulp and grind them.
- Once they become powder, add the cooked squash and tomatoes and grind them.
- If required add little water.
- take into a bowl.
For Tempering :
- Take a pan, add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chilli flake, hing and smashed garlic.
- Let them turn little brown colour.
- Add this Seasoning to the grinded paste.
Tasty squash tomato chutney is ready to eat….
- In this we are using tomato, so u can avoid tamarind pulp. Tamarind Its optional.
- Just don’t use too much water to grind.
- prepare this chutney slightly thicker, so avoid over grinding it. It leaves water and will turn out watery.